Medical Outreach to Those in Need
Many extremely low income, uninsured people in the Harrisburg area are unable to get the care they need. Through our Holy Spirit Medical Outreach Service, we extend the healing mission of Jesus Christ to the homeless in inner city Harrisburg.
The Mission of Medical Outreach
Our nurse-run clinic, based at Christ Lutheran Church, 124 South 13th Street in the Allison Hill section of Harrisburg, is open Monday through Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. No appointments are necessary. Located in the basement at the rear of the church, the waiting area doubles as a drop-in hospitality center for the poor and homeless.In partnership with Christ Lutheran Health Ministries, we offer a wide range of services to the homeless, including:
- Nursing assessments and first aid
- Limited lab tests, flu shots and screenings (tests for pregnancy, blood sugar, strep, etc.)
- Health education
- Limited assistance with prescriptions, eyeglasses, durable medical goods and material goods, such as hygiene items, blankets, etc.
- A Hospitality Center where all are welcome to rest, enjoy beverages, use the phones, fax machine, bathroom, etc.
- English as a Second Language and literacy classes
- Referrals to other appropriate services
- Nurses who speak English, Spanish, medical French, Arabic and Hausa
By working together with our community partners, last year we provided more than 15,000 free patient visits; administered over 700 flu vaccines to low income, uninsured patients; and provided 16,000 free individual health screenings.
If you feel you need these services, please drop by the health clinic, as no screenings are done by phone. The administrative phone line for Medical Outreach is 717-763-2507.