Pastoral Care Services
Our pastoral care staff is available around the clock for patients, families and hospital personnel. Contact the Holy Spirit Hospital operator to reach the pastoral care staff on call. The Hospital chapel, located on the first floor, is always open for prayer and meditation. Call 717-763-2118 for more information.
Our Pastoral Care Outreach Services Include:
• Bereavement Programs - The loss of a loved one can be a difficult experience to bear, but you do not have to go through those feelings alone. Holy Spirit Hospital Pastoral Care offers Bereavement Support Group Programs for the grieving during the afternoons and evenings on Wednesdays. These programs are offered between September and June of each year. Each program contains six 90-minute sessions conducted by a Board Certified Chaplain. Sister Margaret Washington, ASC, Sister Ann Marie Marabella, CPS and Rev. Sally Strayer facilitate the series. There is no charge for the program. To register or obtain more information, please call 717-763-2118 or 717-972-4255.
• Ecumenical Memorial Services - Twice a year, we conduct ecumenical memorial services, followed by a social in the auditorium. These services are also open to anyone who is grieving the loss of a loved one.
• Share Burial - Parents who have lost pre-term babies are invited to take advantage of an ecumenical burial service at Gate of Heaven Cemetery in conjunction with services given by Malpezzi Funeral Home in Mechanicsburg every three months. There is no cost to parents for the burial of their babies.
• Palliative Care Services - Chaplain staff members support terminally ill patients and their families as part of the caring team of professionals on the Holy Spirit Hospital staff.
• Nurses’ Retreat - Each year the nurses at Holy Spirit Hospital are invited to participate in a day of prayerful retreat off campus which is arranged and supported by the Pastoral Care Department at no cost to the participants.
• Seminarian Program - Each year, four to six seminarians from Mt. St. Mary’s in Emmitsburg, MD, are offered weekly training in pastoral care visitation over a period of nine months.
• Memorial Masses - At noon on the second Friday of every month, we offer memorial masses for deceased employees and their family members.
• Monthly Masses - The priest chaplain at Holy Spirit Hospital offerd monthly masses at the Golden Living Retirement Center.