Weight Loss Surgery
A minimally invasive solution for healthy weight loss.
What is Weight Loss Surgery?
For the millions who wage a daily battle against obesity, bariatric surgery represents a revolutionary yet simple and minimally invasive solutions for healthy weight loss. Safe and FDA approved, bariatric surgery reduces the stomach’s capacity and restricts the amount of food that can be eaten at one time. After surgery, patients feel satisfied sooner, stay full longer and eat less.
Our Weight Loss Surgery program is designed to support positive long-term dietary and lifestyle changes and has offered hope to hundreds of patients who report lasting satisfaction with the results.
What to Expect from the Weight Loss Program
- Contact your insurance provider. (Bariatric surgery is often covered by major insurance providers, who typically require you to meet certain qualifications and participate in the complete program.) A payment plan for self-payers is also available.
- Start a supervised diet and exercise plan – which continues throughout the program and into the future.
- Receive assessments and counseling, including nutritional consultation, physical assessment for mobility and psychiatric evaluation.
- Participate in sleep study and labs.
- Undergo medical tests, such as UGI, EGD and colonoscopy, if needed.
Weight Loss Surgery Options
LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Band: The Lap-Band is a silicone band that is placed around the top portion of the stomach using many tiny incisions. Patients are typically discharged from the hospital the same day as the surgery to recover at home. Patients will need to return to the office regularly for band adjustments where fluid is used to “fill” the band to create a feeling of fullness when eating. The band will help you make better food choices, eat slower and eat less. Weight loss with the Lap-Band is much slower than other procedures, but has been proven to be more helpful in keeping the weight off over the long term. As with any weight loss surgery, a well balanced diet and exercise are necessary for optimal results. Want to learn more? View our video. Or visit www.lapband.com.
Sleeve Gastrectomy: Sleeve Gastrectomy creates a narrow “sleeve” or “tube,” which food will pass. This procedure is also done through a number of tiny incisions in the belly but requires a few days stay in the hospital. The expected weight loss is greater immediately after surgery, but long term results are still mostly unknown. This procedure will require you to eat much slower and much less. As with any weight loss surgery, a well balanced diet and exercise are necessary for optimal results.
Post-Procedure and Follow-Up
After either procedure, you will receive the best in standard post-surgical follow-up care. For optimum and permanent results, you are encouraged to follow the diet and exercise plan established during the program.
Insurance Acceptance and Self-Pay Options
Bariatric surgery is safe and FDA-approved for qualified patients and is often covered by major insurance providers. We also have a payment plan option for self-payers.
We accept most major insurance plans; however, please contact your provider directly to confirm your coverage for weight loss surgery.
In addition, insurance providers typically require you to meet certain qualifications and to participate in the complete program. Our program includes counseling and nutrition education. Contact your provider for specific details.
For those who may not be covered by an insurance plan, we have a self-pay program. Our self-pay option includes the complete bariatric surgery program: initial consultation, preoperative office visits, nutritional counseling by a registered dietitian, psychological evaluation, esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), pre-admission testing and preoperative electrocardiogram (EKG). The surgery includes operating room charges, anesthesia, procedure medications, a postoperative recovery room, an overnight hospital stay and a follow-up x-ray. The comprehensive fee also includes follow-up visits for one year post-surgery, including band adjustments as necessary and addressing any postoperative complications within 90 days of surgery.
For further details on our payment plans, please call 717-761-7244, Ext. 5.
Do you qualify for Weight Loss Surgery?
Patients must meet the following requirements to be considered for the Weight Loss Surgery program:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a BMI of at least 40 (or of at least 35 in conjunction with one or more serious health conditions related to excess weight, such as type 2 diabetes) or be at least 100 pounds overweight
- Have made serious attempts to lose weight with only short-term success
- Have an obesity diagnosis
- Have a letter of necessity from their primary care physician