- Volunteering for Holy Spirit Health System
- We encourage you to volunteer with us!
- Volunteer Requirements
- Summer Junior Volunteer Program 2014
- Adult Volunteer Application
- Junior Volunteer Application
- Please return completed volunteer applications to:
- Job Shadow Opportunities
Each year hundreds of dedicated people freely donate tens of thousands of volunteer hours to the Holy Spirit Health System. People of varied ages, skills and abilities gave of their time for everything from patient registration and pastoral care to assisting patients in the ER. The health system benefits from every single hour of volunteer competence, compassion and dedication. Meanwhile, volunteers find meaning in having a positive impact on their community and its people. Equally important is the growing body of research that indicates volunteering provides individual health and social benefits. This research shows that those who volunteer have lower mortality rates, greater functional ability, and lower rates of depression later in life than those who do not volunteer.
The mission of the Volunteer Department is to encourage members of our community to join the Sisters of Christian Charity in their mission of providing quality health care in a Christian manner to the people in our community.
We welcome all individuals 18 years of age and older to apply. Adult applicants may apply at any time during the year, but may experience a delay during the summer months. Please read our requirements below before completing an application. Please be aware (for adult applicants) on average, the time from application to actual volunteering is one to two months. Assignments range from direct patient involvement to behind-the-scenes work. We try for the best match possible of our needs and your interests. For information about volunteering with our Hospital Auxiliary, please click here.
- Be willing to be flexible and accepting of different assignments according to needs and requirements of the patients, staff and the Volunteer Services Department
- Submit a properly completed application packet. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Have the ability to commit to a regular schedule. Our hope is to have more flexible arrangements in the near future; most current assignments are once or twice per week, same day and time each week.
- Have reliable transportation to and from the hospital.
- Possess neatness in appearance/cleanliness and be willing to uphold strict adherence to the volunteer dress code.
- Have a keen interest in helping and interacting with others.
- Possess excellent customer service skills.
Upon acceptance of a volunteer assignment, you must:
- Agree to mandatory completion of volunteer orientation/training--orientations are held once every other month. (*except for the summer months due to the Teen Program)
- Complete mandatory health screening and two step PPD with our Employee Health Department.
- Agree to a PA State Criminal background check if you have been a resident of PA for two consecutive years and/or complete an FBI fingerprint check if you are newer to the area (applicants 18 years of age and older). Certain volunteer assignments will also require a Child Abuse History Clearance.
Please do not hesitate to contact our offices should you have any questions or need assistance.
High School Students ages 16-18
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us! Applications for our summer Junior Volunteer Program 2014 will be posted in January 2014. The deadline to apply will be April 30, 2014. Any student wishing to volunteer with us as a Senior Project for school year 2014-2015 must have first successfully completed the summer program 2014 as a prerequisite. We are looking for students possessing a keen interest in bringing cheer to our patients while being part of the Holy Spirit Health System Care Team.
To download and print the Adult Application, click here.
To download and print the Summer Junior Volunteer Program 2013 Application, click here.
Director of Volunteer Services
Holy Spirit Hospital
503 North 21st Street
Camp Hill, PA 17011
On a space available basis, various Job Shadowing opportunities may be afforded to individuals enrolled in a formal training program or post secondary course of study. Holy Spirit does not provide individual opportunities for high school students.
- Individuals must provide proof of post secondary or formal training program enrollment.
- The observation opportunity will occur for a recommended minimum of two hours. Maximum hours are determined on a case-by-case and unit-by-unit basis.
- All candidates for shadowing must complete the application packet in advance to be considered for an opportunity.
- Girl Scout troops and high school counselors may contact the office to discuss other tour and lecture opportunities.